Do you ever take the time to count your blessings? I’m sure you know the children’s song, “Count Your Blessings”, but thanking God for specific blessings isn’t just for kids.
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places.
Ephesians 1:3 (ESV)
When you count your blessings, try not to focus on the pain in your life—not because it should be shut out, because that’s not healthy—but instead on where God has brought you. In Ecclesiastes 3, the Preacher tells us that there is a time for everything, from grief to gladness. But when you take the time to count your blessings, focus on the good things God has provided—material, spiritual, and relational blessings.
Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights, with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.
James 1:17 (ESV)
I have been richly blessed by God. Here are some of my blessings:
- My beautiful wife still looks at me the way she did on our wedding day, and I believe I’m a better husband because of her influence in my life.
- Our church community has been life-changing for me. God has made it clear that He is doing something big through His people.
- My wife and I are expecting a baby boy.
- God has provided for our material needs in unexpected ways.
- I have a wonderful job that fulfills me and that allows me to do work that I enjoy. I have the honor of being a spoke in this wheel that God is turning for His glory.
- Our rambunctious dog is a fun addition to my life. Her loyalty and curiosity make me smile every day.
- I finished the Run for Mercy 5K race.
- I have been redeemed by Christ from my transgressions, my iniquities, and the times when I missed the mark. I am free!
Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (ESV)
When I count my blessings, I try to think about where I used to be and how far God has brought me. There was a time in my life when I was lonely, ashamed, and striving in my own deeds, but then I encountered Jesus Christ in the midst of grief, and he told me that he loves me and showed me the joy of the Lord, and now, I am surrounded, redeemed, and satisfied. Do you have a story like that?
For you make him most blessed forever; you make him glad with the joy of your presence.
Psalm 21:6 (ESV)